The Green Revolution
The Green Revolution is a term used to describe the time period in which developed nations began to research and look for ways to produce healthier plants and animals. There were many new discoveries on how to increase crop production through the use of pesticides, fertilizers and other methods.
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
GMOs are organisms that have been modified using genetic engineering techniques. Micro-organisms such as bacteria, yeast, plants and mammals are genetically altered so that genetically modified foods can be produced.
- There is a growing population due to developing countries' abilities to feed the people
- There are higher crop yields
- There are new seed varieties that are drought resistant
- The overuse of fertilizers and pesticides is causing environmental issues
- There is a loss of biodiversity
- Health concerns are raising from genetically engineered foods